Life continues after Zeta...and so does the cleanup

So, I last posted on the morning of October 28th after we boarded up windows and got ready for what was predicted to be be a Cat 1, maybe Cat 2, hurricane named Zeta. The predictions were a little weak as he came through as a high Cat 2 with wind gusts of 123 MPH. Not sustained for 5 minutes, or he would have been a Cat 3. We did suffer some damage, but all in all came through a lot better than some. Power was out for the better portion of a week but we made do with solar (thank you Laureli!!) for the lights and electronics (because online college does not stop for power outtages) and a generator to keep fridge and deep freeze stable enough to not lose what we could not eat or share with others. Her end of the house (office) took a direct hit from the neighbor's tree, muted slightly their fence and the roof of my car. Garage roof was lifted but stayed mostly intact (thanks to the hurricane braces installed when it was built-hallelujah!). The front of the garage was pushed in about half a foot but that was remedied by a sledge hammer so both the people and vehicle entrances would open. The roof will be replaced as soon as the adjuster gives us his report. We lost the carport roofing, the wooden privacy fence in the front & back. The back has been propped up for now The front is sorta propped up, in places. We lost the mailbox tree and a few in the back yard. Had to get a new back door for the patio as the glass is gone & the frame bent. But the cats all made it through (each was locked in a different room) and the dog only peed once in the house (tried to get him to go out but he knew what was happening outside and refused. Since we had to held the (south-facing) fornt door closed at one point, neither of us could argue with him. Sheila's Andrew (Morgan, owner of The Roving Arborist") and his friends (J and M Services) were out the morning after to cut the tree off my car/roof. The blessings of friends, I tell ya. They also drug the big debris out of back yard to the street for eventual pickup before they headed out to help others. Now to begin repairs... I have made it halfway through my 2nd college term. I am still maintaining my 4.0 GPA but it has been a struggle with work being short 2 techs. I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel, but the date on that light is 2021 so I am a bit stressed and tired and sloughing off all that I can, which has, so far, included scrapbooking, making my annual holiday cards, riding my motorcycle, and pretty much everything that is not work or school related right now. Sigh. The weather is gorgeous, as I look out the window from my laptop. Maybe I will go work on my assignments from the back patio, now that it is cleared off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Violet

The Trip That Wasn't