Physical Therapy is underway

Okay, so stenosing tenosynovitis is making my life a tad annoying as of late. I did get X-rays and such done to make sure this is not a bone issue. It is not, and my bones look pretty freakin' fantastic, considering what that hand has endured. This condition occurs when inflammation narrows the space within the sheath that surrounds the tendon in the affected finger. The treatment depends on how severe the symptoms are. Mine has been on-going for a while, mostly due to my job. The pain goes from my elbow to my fingers, so yeah, it's been a problem for a little while. I have been prescribed "Rest", meaning I was told to not move the finger and take time away from the activity that’s causing the problem. (Umm, not possible!) Since I can't quit, I was given a splint designed to keep my finger still. That will be on the menu for about 6 weeks, along with NSAIDs and icing.

There are 3 ways to solving this issue. The first is massage of the right forearm in order to loosen the tendons from attachment to insertion points (aka Physical Therapy). The other 2 are surgical alternatives. The second is a percutaneous release. That means the doctor inserts a needle into the area around the affected tendon and moves it and my finger to loosen the tendon and make it work smoothly. They use ultrasound to see where the tip of the needle is so they hopefully don't damage the tendon or nearby nerves. The third option is even worse... surgery to make a small cut at the base of the finger and open the sheath around the tendon. I have chosen the long term (first) approach. That will mean regular PT visits, 3 times a week. It will also mean less time on the motorcycle for the immediate future. Sucks, but still beats surgery in my book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Violet

The Trip That Wasn't