Radiation is COMPLETED!

Today I have slept, had a couple of scrambled eggs for breakfast, then looked at my medical expenses. Thanks to all of you who have helped me get through this financial nightmare. It means so very much that I am not so deep in this mess that I cannot see daylight. Because of your financial support, I only have one outstanding bill from 2018 for $840. 2019 is a different story. The hospital where my pre-op & surgery were done has contacted me about their first bill (in the amount of $15,665) and assured me they will be resubmitting it to Cigna after they recode it. I should only have to kick in 20% of that bill when they get it correct. I have not yet seen the costs for the surgery or the radiation treatments. Tomorrow I am resting. Thursday I return to work. Prayers are invited and encouraged.

Yesterday was my last (AMEN!) HDR radiation treatment. If you are not aware of what HDR means, it stands for "high-density rate". What most people think of when you say radiation is the external beam radiation therapy. That is, a beam of energy from outside of the body passes through the patient’s skin and other organs until it reaches the tumor.
HDR (or brachytherapy) is INTERNAL radiation. Internally applied radiation therapy allows a higher dose of radiation in a smaller area over a shorter period of time than might be possible with external radiation treatment. It uses a radiation source that’s sealed in a small holder that is then placed inside the body. This way the radiation harms as few normal cells as possible.

In my case, with endometrial (uterine) cancer, they did what is called Vaginal Vault brachytherapy. Treatment was relatively simple and done without anesthetic. I was laid on a metal table inside an MRI machine and a catheter was inserted into my bladder. When I inquired as to WHY I was told they manipulate (fill) the bladder to push intestines and rectum out of the way of the radiation filled tube. Next, a plastic tube with a "cuff" was inserted and secured to ensure that it didn’t move. THIS IS NOT AT ALL COMFORTABLE, in case you were wondering. And I was not allowed to move. AT ALL. Then an MRI was done to see where the tube was located in relation to the spots the Oncologist wanted to treat so a "map" could be plotted by a physicist who programmed the applicator. All of this took about 75 minutes. Then I laid there for another 90 minutes while a physicist plotted said map. Finally, I was wheeled into a radiation room. Finally, the applicator was attached to the cuff with cables leading to a shielded container where the radiation source was kept. I was instructed (AGAIN) to remain perfectly still so the applicator didn't shift. Hell, by this time my lower extremities were numb and probably wouldn't move if the building caught fire. Sigh. Once radiation started flowing, treatment took around 20 minutes. Felt like an electric toothbrush moving around. Yeah, so much fun. NOT. Total time in the room was only about 30-45 minutes. So about 3.5 to 4 hours each time. I did have a book and my MP3 player. One of the side effects of radiation is cumulative fatigue so by my 3rd treatment I actually fell asleep.

Overall, not pleasant. But my dedicated cancer team deserves some credit. Dr. Elesyia Outlaw (my radiation oncologist), Dr. Jennifer Scalici (my surgeon), Ange Lynne (aka Angel, my radiation therapist who specializes in brachytherapy), Dr. Medou (my medical physicist) and Tammy (my navigator). Yes, cancer patients @ Mitchell Cancer Institute get their own navigator to help guide them through their treatment and beyond... I find this helpful!

So, today I have slept, had a couple of scrambled eggs for breakfast, and I am resting. Tomorrow I am resting. Thursday I return to work. Prayers are invited and encouraged.

Namaste, Y'all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Violet

The Trip That Wasn't