1 year later... and?

A year later ... my thoughts? Having now completely "kicked" the western medicine habit and gone over to the other side of the world, so to speak- where am I, healthwise? If you recall, I was taking a prescription medication for migraines that required 2 OTHERS to counteract its side-effects. I quit them all and am not taking ANY pills other than Chinese Herbs as directed by my Healer. (isn't she a doll?!)

And, I am doing terrific. There are still some bad days so please don't think I am a miracle case or something. Take last Sunday, for example. Valentine's Day, with whatever that may bring up for you. How did I spend it? Tug-of-war with a menstrual migraine. And I am grateful. Why? Because I got the migraine ON the day I started my cycle, not 3 days BEFORE.

The reason for my exuberance? Sunday I put some theories to the test. you see, I have been eating foods more for their energetic properties (based on TCM-Traditional Chinese Medicine) than on their Western properties (think calories and carbs). But Sunday, knowing that I was in the early stages of a menstrual migraine, I ate "cold" foods exclusively. Prior experiments with foods had shown me that foods in the "Hot/Warm" group (grilled meats, garlic, etc) seemed to aggravate my headache pain even tho they "move blood/Qi". So this time I excluded them completely and-for several hours- the migraine pain lessened. It came and went in gradual waves, rather than the "spike through the eyeball" feeling I normally get. As I was hosting a dinner party that same evening, I took a nap. 2 hours later I awoke feeling MUCH better and not at all groggy or hungover (like Rx usually makes me feel). I was actually looking forward to the evening's guests. And it was a fun party!

Yesterday, still cycling and still no migraine. I saw Laureli last night for acupuncture and herb refill. Today....STILL NO MIGRAINE! Now you can understand why I am overjoyed! All those years Western Medicine told me there was nothing I could do except wait for menopause... WRONG!

I am grateful that there is another health care option and even more grateful that it is working for me. Oh, yeah.. I am also glad I met Laureli. :-) It is reassuring when someone not only takes the time to say "Hey, I might be able to help with that" but then follows up/follows through to do JUST THAT. Would I recommend her to others. YOU BET. Will I follow her to Mississpippi? In a heartbeat.

Comments

Peggy said…
Wow, very interesting Chaotic. Happy to report that I've had only a few migranes in my life, so I can't imagine... I've had 3 gal friends who have gone through this... mostly did the Topamax thing...chocolate, caffeine, menstrual, food issues too... glad you are finding the right treatment.

Popular posts from this blog

Violet

The Trip That Wasn't